Sunday, August 4, 2013

A letter from Sacha: September, 1879

Friday, 5 September 1879. Adeline and I went to the concert at Posthof and when it was over, what was our surprise to see Mama and Henry walk up with Mr. Willie Bodisco who has come from Paris to make us a visit before returning to Russia. He looks very well indeed. Took a walk and all supped at Pupps. 
 
Saturday, 6 Sept. Henry left this morning for Hannover. As I went to take my bath, found Bodisco sitting at Pupps waiting for us. I sent him to the springs to meet Mama but, an hour afterward he came to meet me again on my way back, not having found Mama, who was sitting quietly at Pupps. All breakfasted then. All dined at 2 P.M. and at 3.30 drove out to the Engel-haus, took coffee there and visited the ruins, then returned by dark. Played cards until 10.30 P.M.

Sunday, 7 September. All went to the spring together this morning and after breakfasting went to the woods behind Posthof and I lay down on the grass while Mama and Bodisco talked. Also tried my luck at shooting at a mark with a pistol and once nearly killed Mama (so I thought) as the bullet rebounded. B., although a good shot, was nervous and the man asked him if he had been drinking strong black coffee. Dined at Goldenes Schild, came home and played cards with B. while Mama slept.

Monday, 8 Sept. Adeline & I breakfasted at Schönbrunn. Mama & B. at Pupps. Came home and talked & played cards until time to dress for dinner. Dined at Pupps and spent the rest of the afternoon at home. Sent for a small round wooden table and Mama, B. and I sat around with our hands joined and called up the spirits. The table moved quite perceptibly. We had made the room dark. B. and I then played "patience". Supped at Pupps very early. Walked a little afterwards. I ventured in the dark promenade alone, but hearing a man’s footsteps near me, I screamed and ran back to Mama & B. who laughed heartily at my fright. On arriving home we three played Euchre [a card game] in which I had good luck & B., sevens & eights. B. then bade us adieu as he leaves tomorrow on the 4 A.M. train.

Wednesday, 10 Sept. 1879. This morning Mama received a letter from Sacha bidding us adieu forever since Mama has left him no room for hope of ever being nearer to us than a friend. How joyfully I have looked forward to seeing him this summer and now—never more. Heavenly Father, give me fortitude and courage but it is hard! Farewell, my faithful friend—I have cried all evening. It is very hard.

Thursday, 11 September. En Voyage. Left Carlsbad at 12 M. for Leipzig. Mrs. Kretzschmer and father are on the same train also enroute for Leipzig. Reached Leipzig at 8 P.M. Stopped at Hotel Hanffe, a very fine house. Said goodnight to Mrs. K. at the depot.

Friday, 12 Sept. I went with Adeline to see Mrs. Kretzschmer, 51 Peterschiessgrabenstr., and soon after Mama joined me there. As we left, met Gredel in the street on her way to Mrs. K’s, but we had only time to speak a few words with her and then hurried off to the station where we took the 11 A.M. train for Harzburg. Were obliged to wait three hours in Vienenburg. Finally reached Harzburg at 7 P.M. A beautiful place. Stopping at Actien Hotel. Not many people.

Saturday, 13th September. Harzburg. Beautiful weather. We are feeling rather knocked up after our tiresome journey. Most dreadful orchester here.

Sunday, 14 Sept. Mama and I went out for a walk this morning in the woods and I lost Mama—came home nearly frantic and after three hours of uneasiness, Adeline and I started out and finally found Mama who had been waiting for me at our rendez-vous [meeting place] exactly two hours.

Tuesday, 16 Sept. Moved today to rooms in the Villa Maasberg. Very much pleased and heartily glad to get out of the horrid hotel. The weather has been heavenly and not too cold.

Saturday, 27 Sept. Left Harzburg this A.M. at 11.35 for Hannover where we arrived at 2 P.M. and found Henry at the station. Henry took dinner with us and remained until late in the evening.

Monday, 29th Sept. Tonight Mama, Henry, Gibbons and I went to the opera to hear "Joseph in Egypt" by Méhul; Schott, the tenor, was magnificent.

Tuesday, 30th Sept. Henry brought Gibbons, Martines de Hoy and Ewing to dine with us. Played cards after dinner. This evening Mama, Henry and I heard Midsummer Night’s Dream at the opera. Empress of Germany’s birthday. At 12.30 P.M. Henry and I went to meet Nini and Edgar at the station.



No comments:

Post a Comment